Monday, July 31, 2017

Pontevecchio



It's been quite a while since I posted here as I've been more busy than usual, but with a bit more time on my hands I've started to quite miss my perfume musings!

So today I'd like to introduce my favourite perfume of the summer this year; Pontevecchio for Women by Nobile 1942 - a new discovery for me, though it was released back in 2009.

It's not a well known perfume, at least not among non perfume obsessives. I discovered it on First in Fragrance, a German online perfume and samples shop.

As always I was hunting for an ultimate perfume of some sort. Usually my searches are related to season and since it was May the search was for a summer perfume with a difference.

Sampling by post is a great way to try something unusual, I tested a few, but Pontevecchio 'spoke' to me. It's quite different from my usual style but I liked it so much I bought a bottle, though it's fairly rare for me to buy full bottles. Also I tend to go for fresher summer florals, or something more moody with shady/powdery hints of iris (my summer stalwarts being Cartier's Baiser Vole or Prada's Infusion d'Iris)

Pontevecchio refers of course to the old bridge lined with artisanal shops that spans the River Arno in Florence. The perfumers of Genoan perfume house Nobile 1942 decided on this as the name for their first fragrance, (created in 1942) for men. Pontevecchio for Women was their second.

Incidentally I'd love to try the men's version, just to see what male character images it conjures up, because Pontevecchio for women suggests beautiful images of dreamy renaissance gardens - a painting shimmering into life - Simonetta Vespucci wafting away a bee as she sits for her portrait, no longer an idealised study in static line and pattern but alive in warm sunlight. Despite its citrus and green floral notes, this perfume is definitely warm.

It smells slightly old-fashioned, though having said that I can't pinpoint it to a particular perfume I know, or have known. It just has the feel of a timeless classic. Analysying it, aside from all the poetic musings, I'm pretty sure it's to do with the perfumery methods used by Nobile 1942. From a quick peruse of their website it's clear they're painstaking about quality and authenticity.

Although the opening notes are fresh, almost contemporary (mandarin, coriander seeds) the drydown has that warm, relaxed musk that's easy on the nose -with the combination of orris root (from iris) and oakmoss (here described as white moss, so probably a contemporary version of oakmoss since the original is now banned in large amounts).

Hence its old fashioned aura - creamy, rich florals in pure absolute, authentic base notes - this couldn't be more different from the spiky synthetic freesia or peony featured in many contemporary women's perfumes, or scratchy synthetic notes such as ISO E, ambroxan or 'Cashmeran woods'. (I'm not against synthetics generally, but those mentioned can irritate the nose and throat in large amounts I find).

The official notes listed on Nobile 1942's website (those that we non-perfumers are told of anyway) are bergamot, mandarin, coriander, Florentine iris, Indian jasmine, Bulgarian rose, sandalwood, musk and amber.

At the same time I discovered this perfume, a friend of mine who enjoys giving tarot readings told me the Nine of Pentacles was featuring sigificantly in my life. I don't know how seriously to take such things! But it did make sense since this last year life seems easier for me in many ways, not just financially, but increased confidence in painting. Somehow the process of painting and exhibiting is all a bit less angsty, and since I'll turn fifty this November I like to think angst is a feature of the past. (just saying that makes me feel a bit angsty mind you!) and so it is that Pontevecchio is my perfume of summer this year  - it's tranquil, warm  and uplifting.

Most of my 'holidays' are work-related - involving painting trips into the Scottish islands up north, which I love - they're pure artistic inspiration (my latest series of the Hebrides can be viewed here if you'd care to take a look) but I think now a sunny holiday is required to fully appreciate this perfume of summery tranquility!





1 comment:

  1. The luxury of perfume is what pleases me the most, I care about your information, and I love the perfume as nước hoa versace nước hoa versace pour homme

    ReplyDelete